|The Tayleur was a full rigged iron clipper ship built at Bank Quay, Warrington in 1853. She was 1,750 tons, 230 feet in length and 40 feet in breadth, with a cargo hold of 28 feet depth.
Reportedly she was the largest merchant vessel that had been built in England at that time.
Taking just six months to build, the Tayleur was launched at Warrington on 4 October 1853 before huge crowds. Escorted by three tugs the Tayleur made it to Runcorn to the west and then waited for the tide to continue to Liverpool the following day.
Built for the White Star Line, like her famous successor the Titanic she was lost on her maiden voyage with great loss of life.
|The Tayleur was named after Charles Tayleur, the founder of the Vulcan Engineering Works at Bank Quay in Warrington. Tayleur had turned his attention to shipbuilding after making cannon for the Royal Navy and sections of the Menai Bridge. After building a number of paddle steamers in the early 1840s and two schooners in 1846 his foundry was extended to allow it to build ocean bound vessels.
|References for The Tayleur
Bourke, Edward J., Bound for Australia: The Loss of the Emigrant Ship "Tayleur" at Lambay on the Coast of Ireland (2003) ISBN 095230273X
Edward has contacted us and supplied some of the photos on this page, he has actually dived on the Tayleur wreck.See the photos below.
Starkey, H. F., Iron Clipper Tayleur - White Star Line's 'First Titanic', Avid Publications, 1999. ISBN 1902964004
History of the wreck Tayleur
Wikipedia - The Tayleur
Coastguards of yesteryear - the sinking of the Tayleur
I would like to thank Mike Pinches for the following information supplied to James Shaws review of the Tayleur Arms for the Shropshire Star Paper.
It gives the best account of how the Tayleur Arms gained its name and reads as follows:-
I read James Shaws review of the Tayleur Arms with some interest and noted that he understands that the pub is named after a ship built in the 1850s.
This is not quite the whole story but the ship connection is relevant.
The Tayleur family were a Shropshire family and held the manor of Longdon-on-Tern from the mid 13th until mid 17th centuries. In approximately 1640 they moved to Rodington Hall.
During the 18th century the hall was occupied by one William Tayleur who had three sons; the youngest was Charles, who was born in 1785.
At this time William purchased Buntingsdale Hall in Market Drayton and this is where Charles grew up.
Charles later married the daughter of a Liverpool merchant and moved to Liverpool with his new wife.
Charles made money by investing in shipping ventures and subsequently opened an iron foundry in Warrington where he produced sections for Thomas Telford to use in the construction of the Menai Bridge c.1825.
During the 1840s the foundry started to build paddle steamers and at the end of the decade it was extended to build ocean going vessels.
Probably the first of the larger ships to be built was a clipper type vessel with full rigging, it was completed in 1853 and could have been the biggest in the world at the time.
The vessel was chartered by the White Star Line and named after the owner of the foundry as RMS Tayleur.
The ship was sent on a maiden voyage carrying large numbers of passengers to Australia but was sunk off the Irish coast, a day and a half into the voyage, with heavy loss of life.
Nearly 60 years later the White Star Line commissioned another "largest ship
in the world" and sent it on a maiden voyage to the United States, it was named RMS Titanic.
If you have any information about the Tayleur Arms which you think may be of interest please contact us with your details.
Photo of the dive site.
A "sidescan" of the Tayleur wreck site.
Pottery brought up from the wreck.
Anchor from the werck.
Many Thanks go to Mr Edward Bourke for references from his book "Bound for Australia" See above reference list and the photos you see here below, kindly provided by him.